Loxwood is a small village with a selection of traditional village
shops and several historical houses in the north west of West Sussex,
England. The Wey and Arun Canal passes to the East and South of
the village and has been restored by The Wey and Arun Canal Society
The name Loxwood could be derived from a Saxon God called Lokka.
Lox is also described as a stream, which is the more likely origin
of the name.
Church: Prior to 1757 travel from Loxwood was
difficult. Villagers were unable to travel to the church at neighbouring
Wisborough Green, so in 1401 permission was sought of the Bishop
at Chichester, West Sussex, for a chapel to be built in Loxwood.
This original church in the village centre had no room for a burial
ground and in about 1900 St John's Church was built to replace this
The Cokelers: Loxwood was once the centre for
a small Christian sect, the Society of Dependents, or "Dependant
Brethren" also known as the Cokelers. The Cokelers built their
first chapel in the village. The present shops in Loxwood were once
known as the "Combination Stores", and these were run
by the Cokelers.
School: The school was once held in the building
opposite the church. It is now situated in Nicholsfield
Brewhurst Mill: Dating back to 1554, with evidence
that there was a mill on the site even before then. A major fire
around 1890 destroyed the two upper floors leaving only the existing
brickwork. After extensive refurbishment in 1928 it was in use up
until the early 1980's.