Fontmell Magna, Dorset, England
The hamlet of Hartgrove in Dorset which is part
of the parish of Fontmell Magna, Dorset and very
near Margaret Marsh, has been the home of our ancestors
from the Blachfords to the Hunts. John Blachford
took over the farm at Hartgrove , Fontmell
Magna, Dorset in 1759, he succeeded another John
Blachford (1684-1759), who had held it by service to the
lord of the manor. This is where we find Robert
and Sarah (Kimber) Hunt our 6th great grandparents
living in the 1740s.
The Ralph's lived at Hartgrove Hill on the western edge of the
parish, almost two miles from the parish church, and John
Ralph, a great grandson of Charlotte Hunt(c1777),
had almost drowned in the millpond at Fontmell Magna when he was
aged 9, (c.1861), but had been saved by his brother Cornelius
who managed to pull him out with a long stick. There were three
millponds in the parish of Fontmell, as far as have been ascertained.
Almost certainly the millpond where the accident happened was Woodbridge
Mill, located about 300 yards over the brow of the hill from their
| Hartgrove Farm, Hartgrove, Fontmell
| Emily Ann Hunt was married
to Tom Rose, a farmer at Bedchester, which is on
the road about halfway between Hartgrove and Fontmell. It appears
from earlier censuses that Tom was the son of Job
and Hannah Rose. Job Rose
(c.1819) in 1851 was a miller and farmer at Woodbridges, Fontmell,
in the census of that year.
Other ancestors who lived in Hartgrove are Susannah ( Pinhorne)
Blachford,in residence 1782, Nicholas
Kimber father of Sarah above, Matthew Ralph, Emmanuel
Ralph, Alphaeus John Ralph, Caroline Curtis, Rachel Jane Hunt, Frederick
G Hunt and Ann Mead Seymour,
daughter of Morgan Seymour (c.1740).
Source: Christopher Ralph, Wiltshire, UK.
| Another view of Hartgrove Farm,
Hartgrove, Fontmell Magna, Dorset.
|In 1831 Hartgrove was described as "HARTGROVE, a chapelry in the parish of FONTMELL-MAGNA, in that part of the hundred of SIXPENNY-HANDLEY which is in the Shaston (West) division of the county of DORSET, 4 miles (S.W. by S.) from Shaftesbury, containing 274 inhabitants.
The curacy is annexed to the vicarage of Iwerne-Minster, in the archdeaconry of Dorset, and diocese of Bristol. The chapel is dedicated to St. Peter"